Before You Move In
So your offer has been accepted Congratulations!
Once you have gone unconditional here are some handy tips on what you should do before you move in to your new home. Before Settlement Day (This is the day the money changes hands and you get the keys)
- Arrange a pre-settlement property inspection. This is a standard request and you usually arrange this through your Real Estate Agent for a final walk-through of the property.
Unless anything was specifically excluded from the purchase agreement (i.e. garage has no power) all fixtures and fittings should be in working order.
Any chattels listed as included in the sale such as curtains, appliances, floor coverings should remain with the property.
- Ensure your finance has been arranged and is ready for settlement day
- Arrange property insurance to start from settlement day
- Arrange contents insurance to be changed to the new address from moving day
- Transfer any magazine subscriptions, notify your credit card providers and any other account providers of your new address to take effect from move in day
- Notify any other subscriptions, insurances or anything you receive by post, tell your children’s schools.
- Check your lawyer has everything they need to complete conveyancing for settlement day
This information is intended as tips and advice and may not cover every situation, you should always seek the advice of your lawyer/conveyancer and real estate agent.